- 1 Release highlights
- 2 Important changes
- 3 Improvements
- 4 Notable bugfixes
- 5 Breaking changes / Action required
- 6 Crash fixes
- 7 More bug fixes
- 8 Translations
- 9 Documentation
- 10 Known issues
- 11 Previous releases
Definitely not released yet.
Inkscape 1.1 is a stability and bugfix release.
[For changes made even before the 1.0 release that aren't in 1.0, try to find out if the checked and not stroked ones here: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/issues/1030 have really not been cherrypicked]
The most notable improvements are:
- Fill in
- We no longer depend on GtkSpell and ASpell but on GSpell for spell checking.
- lib2geom has been moved into its own git submodule (like the extensions).
- XInclude support (see !1150) TODO: Move to a "technical" or "advanced" section?
- Hidden dialogs stop receiving signals and release resources
- Shell mode: a history of commands is now remembered and can be accessed with the up and down arrow keys. [Tab ... autocompletion?]
- Recognize layers in SVG files exported from CorelDraw (see !2046)
General User Interface
- Dock layouts are now saved in an xml file (
docklayout.xml) in the user preferences directory, making them transferable.
- The legacy gradient editor (a dialog that could previously be enabled in the preferences for the gradient tool) has been removed.
A new menu item has been added to allow the user to prevent the rotation of the canvas with key bindings commonly associated with zooming in other applications. This setting can be toggled on a per-window basis. In addition, a new preference option has been added to allow users to set the mode to be on when a new window is opened.
- Connection lines now update in real time
- New sub-point connections for clones and groups, allowing users to use Inkscape to connect diagrams together like in other drafting tools:
- Added new search bar in the preferences dialogue that performs a recursive search over all the nested categories of settings
Ctrl+Gfor next result
Ctrl+Shift+Gfor previous result
- In Edit > Preferences > Imported images: Import, there is a new option that allows you to disable relative paths to linked files ("Store absolute file path for linked images", active by default).
- In Edit > Preferences > Rendering > there is a new option
Redraw while editingthat improve performace of redrawing for some faster CPUs ("Responsive", active by default)
Live Path Effects
Automatic fill preservation for Path Effects
LPEs which render strokes as fills (
Power Stroke, and
Taper Stroke) have been modified to automatically preserve the previous fill by creating a linked path when applied to an object.
Taper Stroke LPE improved
The Taper stroke LPE has been updated to include taper direction options (allowing the taper to run to one side of the path, instead of to the middle) and smoothing options for both ends of the path, allowing more interesting paths to be made in the effect. In addition, using the keybind Shift+click on the on-canvas knots allows quickly alternating between the different possible taper shapes.
New shortcut for Fill between many LPE
A new shortcut has been added under the Path menu to automatically create a linked fill path using the Fill between many path effect. The effect is created beneath the selected paths and automatically selected to faciliate moving the path into the correct z-order and styling it as intended. For greater efficiency, the shortcut can also be bound to a hotkey using the Preferences dialog.
- Offset fix a crash moving knots on groups and improve offsetting method and speed. Now work on open paths (without self intersections)
A new extension allows to directly save as a PDF through Scribus, if Scribus 1.5+ is found in the path. This should allow to produce a color-managed PDF if the SVG is color-managed.
- Dragging connected objects now does not leave the connections behind until dragging concludes. Instead lines follow drag smoothly.
Breaking changes / Action required
Element selections API has been improved, the API in 10 of using `self.svg.selected` is deprecated in favour of the new `self.svg.selection` interface. The previous API will continue to work for the time being but should be updated to the new API. Selection is now a type of ElementList which provides filtering, ordering and other generalised functionality, if you need an element list for example to make a bounding box, this is the way to do it.
Fix a crash …
- … when ... (#number)
More bug fixes
There were even more issues fixed than those listed above, but these probably only affect a small portion of users, or are relevant for development and packaging only.
The following UI translations received updates:
The following documentation translations received updates:
Contributing to interface translations
Want to help with translations? Learn how to help!
- Some missing options were added to the man page (command line help)
- Some missing keyboard shortcuts were added to the keyboard shortcut reference
Contributing to documentation and documentation translation
Contributions to the documentation translations, as well as improvements to its contents, are welcome at the inkscape-docs repository.
- Fill in
- Many of Inkscape's old bug reports still need to be tested and migrated to the new bug and feature request reporting page. While some progress has already been made, we still need your help with that task.
- All (migrated and new) open issues for the project are listed on GitLab. If you have some time on your hands and can help fixing them, join us in the development chat and let us tackle them together.
- Release notes/1.0 (1.0.1)
- Release notes/0.92 (0.92.1, 0.92.2, 0.92.3, 0.92.4, 0.92.5)
- Release notes/0.91
- Release notes/0.48 (0.48.1, 0.48.2, 0.48.3, 0.48.4, 0.48.5)
- Release notes/0.47
- Release notes/0.46
- Release notes/0.45
- Release notes/0.44
- Release notes/0.43
- Release notes/0.42
- Release notes/0.41
- Release notes/0.40
- Release notes/0.39
- Release notes/0.38
- Release notes/0.37
- Release notes/0.36
- Release notes/0.35