(definitely not released yet - AnnouncePlanning093)
Released on «YYYY-MM-DD».
[Please fill in]
[Please fill in]
The icon preview dialog now correctly shows the page background (Bug #1537497). As a side effect, custom UI icons SVG files need updating to have their background color alpha channel set to 0 so that they display correctly (see Bug #1661989).
Improvements and fixes to the code for handling/restoring window size and position. The window manager handles most of the job now which should make it much more robust, but please report any potential regressions. 
[Please fill in]
With Ctrl+Shift+Scroll wheel the drawing area can be rotated and viewed from different angles. In the bottom right corner of the Window, the viewing angle can be entered manually. Right-click to select between a set of preset values. Keyboard shortcuts for clockwise/counter-clockwise/no rotation can be set in the preferences.
The canvas can now be flipped, to ensure that the drawing does not lean to one side, and looks good either way. The vertical/horizontal flipping is available from the menu View > Canvas orientation > Flip horizontally / Flip vertically. Keyboard shortcuts for flipping the canvas can be set in the preferences.
Changed behavior of Stroke to Path
The 'Stroke to Path' command now not only converts the stroke of a shape to path, but effectively splits it into its components.
In the case of applying it to a path that only has a stroke, the behavior is unchanged.
For paths that don't only have a stroke, but also a fill and/or markers, the result will be a group consisting of:
- Stroke outline turned to path
- Fill (if there was one)
- A group of all markers (if applicable; one group per marker, consisting of its outline and its fill turned into a path)
Clones and Symbols are now automatically unlinked, before a Boolean operation (union, difference, etc.), or one of the Path operations 'Combine', 'Break apart', or 'Stroke to Path' is performed.
A setting in the preferences at Behavior → Clones → Unlink Clones allows to disable the automatic unlinking.
Pressure sensitivity can now be enabled for the Pencil tool. This feature makes use of the PowerStroke Live Path Effect (LPE).
New settings for the tool are available for tweaking the behavior of the PowerStroke LPE when it is being created with the Pencil tool (and a graphics tablet/stylus):
- Use pressure input (in the tool controls bar): activates the PowerStroke feature, if a pressure sensitive device is available.
- Min/Max (in the tool controls bar): determines the minimal and maximal stroke width (0 to 100%). This does not change the number of available pressure levels, but spreads them out in the available line width interval.
- Width scale (in the path effects dialog): adjust the overall width of the stroke after it has been drawn.
- Set default parameters (in the path effects dialog): set default values for new PowerStroke paths.
New option to erase as clip, which allows to non-destructively erase (parts of) all kinds of elements, including raster images and clones.
Clipping / Masking
Clip paths and masks now have an inverse mode in the menu, using the PowerClip and PowerMask LPEs
Live Path Effects
BSPline and Spiro
Improvements in Pen/Pencil mode. With "Alt", you can move the previous node.
This new path effect add DIN and custom style meassure lines to "straight" segments in a path.
Here are a video working:Meassure Line LPE
Clone original Improvements
This path effect now allow items instead paths and has a lot of power behaind.
Here are a video working:Clone Original Improvements
Mirror Symmetry and Rotate Copies Split feature
This new feature allows custom styles for each part of the resulting drawing without unlinking the LPE.
Video: Mirror Symmetry and Rotate Copies LPE Split option
Power Clip and Power Mask LPE
This new LPE add options to clips and masks.
Video: PowerClip and PowerMask LPE
This new LPE adds fillet and chamfer to paths. Also adds a new internal class that allows to handle extra info per node, the LPE itself is an example of use the new classes.
Video: Fillet/Chamfer LPE
Boolean Operations LPE
Allows non-destructive boolean operations...
An LPE to handle embroidery...
Import / Export
[Please fill in]
- All INX Parameters now have the common attribute
nspecifies the level of indentation in the extension UI.
appearance="url"for INX Parameters of type "description". You can now add clickable links to your extension UI.
SVG and CSS
[Please fill in]
- The Symbols dialog can now handle a lot of symbols without delay on startup, and also allows searching. Symbols and symbol sets now displayed in alphabetical order.
- When resizing the page, the page margin fields can now be locked, so the same value will be used for all margins, but only needs to be entered once.
All files in
/share can be over-ridden by placing files in the user's configuration folder (e.g.
Configurable contents now includes extensions, filters, fonts, gradients, icons, keyboard shortcuts, preset markers, palettes, patterns, about screen, symbol sets, templates, tutorials and some user interface configuration files. Only the file 'units.xml' cannot be overridden.
- Inkscape can now load fonts that are not installed on the system. By default Inkscape will load additional fonts from Inkscape's share folder (
/share/inkscape/fonts) and the user's configuration folder (
~/.config/inkscape/fonts). Custom folders can be set in preferences (see Tools → Text → Font directories).
- Allow to use "Super", "Hyper" and "Meta" modifier keys
- Improve shortcut handling code. This should fix a lot of issues and allow to use a lot of shortcuts which were inaccessible before, especially on non-English keyboard layouts.
User interface customization
- Inkscape is starting to use glade files for its dialogs so they can be reconfigured by users. Only one is currently supported (filter editor).
- The contents of the menus can be configured by customizing the
- Toolbar contents for the command bar (
commands-toolbar.ui), the snap bar (
snap-toolbar.ui), the tool controls bars for each tool (
select-toolbar.ui), the toolbox (
tool-toolbar.ui) is now configurable.
- The file
keybindings.rcallows you to... (TODO: do what? What does it do in comparison to keys.xml?)
- The interface colors and some more UI styles can be customized in
style.css(very raw themeing support).
Inkview was considerably improved and got some new features:
- Support folders as input (will load all SVG files from the specified folder)
--recursiveoption will even allow to search subfolders recursively.
--timeroption which allows to set a time after which the next file will be automatically loaded.
--scaleoption to set a factor by which to scale the displayed image.
--fullscreenoption to launch Inkview in fullscreen mode
- Many smaller fixes and improvements
- xverbs (command line commands that take parameters, e.g. for saving the selection under a specified filename as svg file) (mailing list thread)
- New verb allows to swap fill and stroke from command line: EditSwapFillStroke (a keyboard shortcut can now be assigned to it) (bug 675690)
- Files can now also be saved as Inkscape SVG without calling the GUI save dialog (new command: --export-inkscape-svg)
- libsoup - Used for making http requests without the need for dbus and gvfs.
New UI translations for [please fill in].
- Symbols: Visio Stencils loaded from .vss files now use their actual name instead of a placeholder derived from the symbol file's name (bug 1676144)
- Shapes on Pen and Pencil tools now retain color and width (bug:1707899).
For an exhaustive list of bugs that have been fixed, please see the milestones page for Inkscape 0.93..
[Please fill in]
- Release notes/0.92 (0.92.1, 0.92.2)
- Release notes/0.91
- Release notes/0.48 (0.48.1, 0.48.2, 0.48.3, 0.48.4, 0.48.5)
- Release notes/0.47
- Release notes/0.46
- Release notes/0.45
- Release notes/0.44
- Release notes/0.43
- Release notes/0.42
- Release notes/0.41
- Release notes/0.40
- Release notes/0.39
- Release notes/0.38
- Release notes/0.37
- Release notes/0.36
- Release notes/0.35