User manual information
Jump to navigation Jump to search
We need to work now on an update of this Manual and have a specific version for Inkscape.
- Queries about Manual can be added here or sent to <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Translations of the manual
Where can I find the latest update?
- If you want to contribute, download the USER_MANUAL part of SVN (http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/inkscape/user_manual/trunk/)
- If you just want to browse to find a subject, you can go to http://www.le-radar.com/?mm/inkscape_inkscape.rss and choose your language. It is the most up2date.
- An alternative, in-progress, unofficial version can be found at http://www.usinginkscape.com/usermanual
How to Help
- Adding new information to the manual : write your files in docbook or in plain text that we'll convert (please follow guidelines)
- translating pages
- contact a contributor or add your name in the follow list and have a look at the WIP
- If you want to contribute, download the USER_MANUAL part of SVN
- To view actual state in html, type "make your_language" (notice that xsltproc is needed). If nothing is generated, it is that your language is actually not added to the manual. Thanks to begin one, ad become responsible for this part ;)
- edit the trunk/xml/inkscapeUTF.xml file. All languages are inside.
- Just read the file, choose the language reference you want to use (en, fr...) and translate by duplicating the node and changing lang attribute to yours.
- For pictures, you may use the "images/sshot_yourlanguage" directory or create it if necessary".
- when finishing editing, if necessary edit the Makefile and add your language to the Makefile. In every case test your file with some tools (xmllint...) or just type again "make your_language" : syntax errors will be displayed : please correct them.
- svn commit
- Why is there only one xml file?
- The single XML file has now been split into language-specific versions, please only edit these.
- How can I produce HTML output from the XML file?
- Type "make your_language" to have truncated html file (one file per sect1), or "make singleYour_language" to have all the manual in one html file.
- Can I export to PDF?
- Yes. Make a single HTML file as described above and run "make pdfYour_language". This depends on htmldoc. If anyone wants to work on a different XSL stylesheet that produce language specific XML file and use db2pdf, it is welcome.
- Cedric Gemy - main contributor - cedric at le-radar.com
- Elisa - contributor in French - elisa at ec.yemanja.net
- John - Author and French/British translation
- Ernesto - Spanish translation - celise at prodigy.net.mx
- Antonio - Italian translation - antonio.angelo at poste.it
- Bryce - English translation/editing - bryce at bryceharrington.com
- Kevin - English translation/editing - inkscape.docs at wixsonit.com
- Colin Marquardt - volunteer for a German translation from English, help with xml2po if needed. Especially interested in Embedded_Help.
- vonHalenbach-de - volunteer for a translation of pygmees manual from English to German
The Inscape "man page".