SVG2 Text Bugs
This page is to keep track of issues with Inkscape's SVG 2 Text implemention.
Alexandru Roman implemented support for SVG 2 Text as his GSoC project in 2017. His code can be found on GitLab. The main advantage of updating to SVG 2 Text is the ability to provide a natural SVG 1.1 fallback. SVG 2 Text has a few additional benefits like the ability to add a margin to a shape and the ability to exclude fill regions based on other shapes.
SVG 2 Files
SVG 2 files should be rendered correctly.
Old Inkscape Files
Old Inkscape files should be properly converted to the new format.
SVG 1.1 Fallback
Inkscape SVG 2 files should render correctly in browsers using SVG 1.1 fallback.
- Open SVG 2 rendering test file.
- Nudge to force fallback to be created then nudge back to original position.
- Save with new file name.
- Open with web browser.
- Fallback uses 'text-align', should use 'text-anchor'.
Improvements to Inkscape's GUI.
- If a shape is selected in Text Tool mode, it should automatically be used for text in a shape.
- If multiple shapes are selected, they should be filled in order (of selection?, of z-order?).
- Dragging the mouse cursor creates a box to be filled. As this is implemented using the 'inline-size' property, it would be better to create two parallel lines to show the region that will be filled.