A List of Refactoring Projects
See Refactoring plan for guidelines on how to refactor.
Attention: Some of these suggestions might not make sense or have better solutions. For example instead of moving some unused function to a different file, you should remove it. Apply the principles of adding unit tests and adding documentation (doxygen comments).
Derive SPStar from SPShape (not SPPolygon), update 'object/README'. Move sp-item-transform.h functions into SPItem.See: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/2976 Move sp-item-update-cns.h function into SPItem.Removed Move sp-item-rm-unsatisfied-cns.h function into SPItem.Removed Remove config.h code (or document why it is needed).DOCUMENT/Autogenerated Remove macros.h (or document why it is needed).Removed Remove dependence on Glib::object in ResourceManager(). Simplify ResourceManager... it does only one thing: fix broken links.Replaced
- In SPObject one can write:
setKeyValue( sp_attribute_lookup("x"), "y");
These are redundant and neither is really convenient. SPObject perhaps should have it's own setAttribute() function.
- Rename helper-fns.h with a better discriptive name and move to util(?). MOVE/RENAME
- Remove dependence on object-set.h in files in src/livarot directory.
- Evaluate all the functions in io/sys.h/.cpp. See if we can't use standard glib functions.
Remove helper/ucompose.hpp and it's use in src/event-log.cpp.Removed
- Move functionality of src/line-geometry.h/.cpp into lib2geom or elsewhere.
Remove deprecated GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK (motion events are compressed since Gdk 3.8).Removed
- Turn DrawAnchor into a proper class (or figure out how to get rid of it all together).
- Clean up constructors and signals in selcue.cpp.
Remove need to write out and read back in a PNG file with createBitmapImage().Done
- Remove SPObject::setKeyValue() which only calls set(), refactor duplicate code in two versions of SPObject::readAttr().
- Move Behavior-Dashes into Behavior-Transforms in Preferences dialog.
- Move Pixbuf out of cairo_utils.h/.cpp into it's on files. Fix g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed from destructor.
- Remove global variables from ui/tools/tool-base.cpp
- Removed desktop dependency from hiding/unhiding, locking/unlocking objects and layers.
- Remove widgets/widget-sizes.h Most of this should be replaced by CSS.
- Move spw_label and spw_hbox to stroke-style.cpp (only place they are used) and rename (or maybe don't use). Give better names to sp_search_xxxx and move to ui/?.
Remove god-awful SPWidget (only used for selection).Yeah!!! Removed
- Move most files in 'src' to subdirectories, add README for each directory with description of contents. (Tav)
In toolbars, use dataKludge or data or tbl or holder ... but not all four!(Side benefit of C++ify toolbars.) (Alex)
- Remove InkAction class. Normal GTK button actions should be able to handle SVG icons... no need for derived class. (Alex)
- Make data members private in SPI::Base and derived class. Add set() function. Default to SP_STYLE_UNSET in constructor, setting to SP_STYLE_SRC_PROP in set(). (Tav)
- Sort out URL/file handling. See URIs and Filenames.
- Find all the ways we output error/status messages to users (this does not include developer focused error messages that use std::cerr). Pick one and use it everywhere. The goal should be to be able to build Inkscape without a GUI but if the GUI is used, the user will see the messages on the desktop.
- Look at Inkscape::URIReference and derived classes to see if they can't be simplified/templated/etc.
- Make sp_repr_set_svg_double etc. member functions of Inkscape::XML::Node. [sp_repr_set_svg_double() -> setAttributeSvgDouble()].
- Redo Save/Export separating Lossless vs Lossy formats. Create one path for all Exports that share processing so that all options (that make sense) are available to all output formats.
- Refactor toolbase and derived classes. The conversion from C to C++ seems to be only partially done.
- Move the functionality found in SPDesktop to SPCanvas or InkscapeWindow, then kill it as well as View!
- Divide display directory into:
- canvas: GUI related routines, move to ui/
- drawing: Generic rendering routines
- Clean-up Key events. Check to see if get_latin_keyval() can be moved to InkscapeWindow::on_key_press() and removed everywhere else. (Must make sure it doesn't interfere with typing text.)
- Get rid of all Glib::wrap's.
- Git rid of all gobj()'s.
Make liblcms2 a hard dependency and git rid of 92 #ifdefs.Done
- Merge old knot code with "new" control-point code.
- Figure out why the cursor SVG file is reloaded when a drawing file is reverted and stop it from happening.
C++ify toolbars.(Alex) Multiple commits.
- Convert all GtkActions's and Gtk::Action's to Gio::Action's. See GtkAction migration (Alex)
- Add a one or two line description of what each file contains at the top of the file if it is missing. (Everyone)
- Remove livarot, moving any needed functionality into lib2geom or other files.
- Remove desktop dependence on reading and setting style on a document. In particular remove sp_desktop_set_style().
C++ify SPCanvasItem and all its derived class.Done
Super Large Projects
- Convert verbs to Gio::Action's.
- Convert GUI to XML files. (Long term.)
Invert 'y' coordinate system to match SVG. (Look at previous patch... link?)