Documentation and specs
The ZINK filetype is currently implemented as input and output extensions for Inkscape. When these extensions are installed the user is able save and open .zink files. A Zink file contains a normal Inkskape svg-file including all linked images. This makes it possible to easily share/publish Inkcape documents with NO BROKEN IMAGES.
The zink filetype is packed using the zlib modules from python, so it is actually just a zip archive with the extension .zink. If you rename is you can open it with any zip extracter.
At this moment a zink file contains the following:
- images in gif, png or jpg
The first addition will be a version file so we can garantee backwards compatibility in the future. In the future there maybe some other additions like a manifest file or some directory lay-out.
- Make the current extension work on Inkscape CVS in mac os x and windows
- Add file containing zink version number for future backwards compatibility.
- Write documentation and specs at this page and keep up to date.
- Implement a proper temp directory solution with the help of other inkscape programmers
- Investigate howto reinplement all functionallity in c++ using the existing inkjar code.
As these extensions are not (yet) in CVS i've put them on our webserver. Download them here: http://facility.lingewoud.nl/hacks/inkscape_save_and_open_as_zink/
If you have inkscape 0.43 or lower you must also install a newer version of inkex.py in your extension folder. Get this from the same download location or from inkscape CVS.
If you want to install the extensions in your home directory (~/.inkscape/extensions/) also place a copy of inkex.py here
Problems on windows
On windows its not possible yet to open zink files. Saving to a zink file works. I'm trying to fix this but help is welcome
Problems on Mac OS X
The extensions do not work yet on the Mac OS X version. I don't exactly know why. Help is welcome.
Problems on other platforms
Please inform me about it.
If you have suggestions please mail them to the inkscape dev-mailing list.