Launchpad Entry: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/inkscape/+spec/informative-ui
The UI could benefit from hyperlink-like shortcuts seamlessly placed on the statusbar text. These shortcuts open often used editing dialogs. Other places could get the same treatment.
- Basic appearance properties are already there (fill, stroke, stroke width, opacity) and double clicking them opens the Fill&Stroke dialog. Adding ways of accessing filter and LPE editing dialogs seems like a reasonable step to me (because both of them affect the appearance of objects).
- The shortcuts are painted with another color, making detection of an added filter/LPE easier with just a glance at the statusbar.
- Direct access to two of the most used dialogs (IMHO) from the main UI without having to use the menus.
- It doesn't take more space than the current solution so it won't affect negatively narrow screens.
- Might not be doable in GTK+ (unsure).