Required PDF Support
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page is part of the PrintingConsensusPoll.
- What level of Support/features are required?
- What SVG features must be supported beyond the basics?
- Should the deliverable be a library, a stand alone tool, or ...?
- Other questions about requirements?
This page identifies exactly what sort of PDF support Inkscape needs. This information is essential to complete the plan for the PrintingConsensusPoll.
- Arbitrary .pdf and .ps files can be opened or imported directly into an inkscape document in exactly the way that .svg files are imported.
- All shapes are editable
- All text is rendered in the same font as the original .pdf
- All text is appropriately sequential (multi-column pdfs are handled correctly)
- Arbitrary "page to import" is selectable for multi-page documents.
- Arbitrary .svg files can be "saved as" .pdf files
- Hyperlinks in the PDF file are preserved in the SVG.
- Exporting the SVG to .png produces a pixel accurate ...
- Metadata should be as much preserved as possible
- ... please refactor and refine ...
What Users Need from Inkscape PDF/PS Support
- SVG canvas size needs to be compatible with PDF canvas
- Color SVG's get turned black and white on export; needs to preserve colors
- Better gradient supports. Xara Xtreme does a nice trick with gradients by creating colored steps aligned to the shape/direction of the gradient.
- Better AI support. The Adobe Illustrator file format is a PDF-based format (after version 7), or postscript (before version 7). If Inkscape gains good PDF/PS support, it should also be able to load/save AI files.
- Support for alpha transparency everywhere (objects, gradient stops, etc.)
- Ability to tile one large image across multiple pages (cf. KDEPrint's poster utility )
- /What else?/
- some [Export To Pdf dialogs] in this separate page