Difference between revisions of "Release notes/1.2"
m (Remove one-click dock hiding (in 1.1.1). Sort through General dialogs section.)
m (Icons / Page section)
|Line 37:||Line 37:|
=== Icons ===
=== Icons ===
Multicolor icons got small retouches and other improvements to readability or contrast.. color dark themeto improve contrast
Cursors and icons for tool and now use same imagery
Cursors and icons
== Canvas ==
== Canvas ==
=== Page ===
=== Page ===
=== Snapping ===
=== Snapping ===
Revision as of 01:34, 21 January 2022
|These Release Notes are in Draft Status.
Definitely not released yet.
- Performance improvements for many parts of the interface and many different functions
General user interface
- buttons for number entry fields are now smaller. If you prefer the old, wider buttons, they can be turned on again by disabling
Preferences → Interface : Use narrow number entry boxes . (MR #3358)
- The layer selection dropdown has been replaced by a layer indicator. Clicking on the indicator opens the new Layers and object dialog. This change improves Inkscape's performance for documents with many layers (MR #3629).
- Multiple icons in the Multicolor icons set got small retouches and other improvements to readability or contrast, e.g. the green color is now a little brighter when using a dark theme, to improve contrast.
- Cursors and icons for the Bézier tool and the Calligraphy tool in the tool bar now use the same imagery [to be confirmed]
Align and distributeicons are now smaller, some were redesigned to fit in to 16x16 grid.
- The page shadow now has a more realistic, blurry, fade-out look (MR #3128)
- Settings for the page background / decoration were refactored, see [section about Document properties dialog]
- Inkscape documents can now hold multiple pages! See [section about the new Page tool]
Snapping settings got unified and settings are no longer saved in to svg file but to to preferences inside of inkscape. All snapping settings are moved to Preferences> Behavior > Snapping
Snapping toolbar got removed and replaced with new simplified snapping pop over. You can find it in top Right corner as a toggle switch with arrow for change preferences.
Preferences has two modes:
- Simple - 3 options (Bounding box, paths, Alignment snapping). This should be good simple preset for most of users needs.
- Advanced - All granualr control over every snapping option. This provides all functionality for pro users
Alignment and Distribution snapping
Three new modes of on-canvas snapping have been added. These new modes make aligning and distributing objects a very easy drag and drop operation.
The new snapping options can be enabled or disabled from the
Snap popover -> Advanced using the following new options:
- Alignment Snapping : Toggle alignment snapping for objects.
- Self snapping : Toggle alignment snapping for nodes in the same path while editing nodes.
- Distribution snapping : Toggle distribution snapping.
Alignment and distribution snapping also have their separately configurable snap tolerances which can be adjusted in
Document Properties > Snap.
Both Alignment and Distribution snapping also have a preference to show snap distances which can be enabled or disabled from
Preference > Snapping > Show snap distance in case of alignment or distribution snap.
are horizontal or vertical lines that only appear when you're editing objects on the canvas. Temporary guide lines appear if the selected object can be aligned relative to another object on the canvas. Once a guide does occur, the movement of the selection is constrained in the general direction of the guide which makes placing objects on the canvas easier.
is useful for node editing. Nodes will snap to their own geometry
are also a new feature added to Inkscape. These are spacing guides that appear in between equally spaced objects. These guides make it easier to place objects at equal distance from each other. These guides also appear in horizontal or vertical direction based on the optimum snap position.
Related Merge Request: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3294
You can edit the Origin of the selection. By clicking on one of 8 canvas handles
<-> changes the origin/ anchor point of the selection. After that, you will see a big gray cross from a new origin. This change will be reflected in the toolbar from where you can edit position and size with precise numbers. This is useful if you want to move/scale a selection with a precise number in mind. You can also move origin anywhere by dragging on the middle handle + .
New feature padding knot to flow box 2769
SVG 2.0 flowed text allows for shape-padding and shape-subtract attributes, allowing for the text to flow into a shape and leave some space between it's edges and where the text will start to flow as well as subtracting shapes with margin, which allows text to flow around other objects in the scene. These attributes were supported in Inkscape 1.0, but not exposed to the user. This version of Inkscape includes both an adjustable on-canvas knot for changing the padding as well as a Text menu item for setting text subtraction properties with a further knot to adjust it's margins.
[See merge request for animated gifs to add here]
kerning options moved to pop over to save space in toolbar. We also increased range sliders for letters/words spacing https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/2569 https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3434
Last line in paragraph is not justified anymore https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3780
New tool and feature that allows you to create multipage ( pages ) SVG and PDF. As a part of this feature is also import of multipages to inkscape.
- you can create new page on canvas
- you can edit size page on canvas
- you can change position of page on canvas
- you can create new page by clicking + button in toolbar
- you can name your pages
- you can delete page
- you can fit page size around your selection
- you can type in page sizes
- you can chose page size from presets
- You can open PDF/AI with multiple pages
- You can import pages from pdf in to existing svg (file> import)
- you can save multipage pdf
- you can save multipage svg ( multipages are not supported in browsers first page is viewport for browsers)
(TODO: document all features and how it works)
Caligraphy brush / pen
Allows fixation to have negative values https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3782
- A mini-menu (downward pointing arrow symbol) was added into the title bar of every multi-dialog panel (also called 'notebook'). You can use it to close the current tab, to undock it, or to close the whole panel. It also shows a list of available dialogs, sorted by purpose, allowing you to open them with a click ((MR #3728)
- Open dialogs are now less costly for performance, because they do not update when it's not needed (MR #3369), or when they are hidden (MR #3761)
- Docking zones now expand and flash slowly when a dialog is dragged close to them. This makes it easier to see where docking is possible ((MR #3729)
- The text labels of docked dialogs are now more responsive to the width of dialog (MR #3627)
Preferences zoom ruler respect theme look
Allow select same to work like select all
We revamped the document properties dialog from old cluttered, not so user friendly to completely redesigned dialog that users will enjoy
Clean up of ui: Added sliders , fixed live preview, dialog is size responsive
Color pallet and Swatches
We improved Look and settings options of this two panels.
- color pallets have preview
- you can control size, padding, nuber of rows
- Scrolling is now possible just on vertical axis
- you can use arrow buttons to navigate up and down
Alignment and distribute
We fused Arrange dialog into Alignment and Distribution dialog . its in 3 tabs with more user friendly names and small visual tweaks.
Icons inside this dialog are smaller and redesign.
Layers and Objects dialog
- new icons for every object type
- first object icon enable/disable view of objects
- masks and clipping paths are added as a overly suicon
- every new layer has new color
- Colors of icons in panel and paths on canvas are linked for better organization
- you can edit color of of layer/object by slisking on color block on right
- default highlight colors delegated to
- double click label (name of the object) to rename it
- info-bar shows you current layer if you click on it and will open layers dialog
- shift-click on an eye icon toggles layer solo visibility (hiding others)
- shift-click on a padlock locks other layers
- If you hold Alt and hover over items in dialog all other elements get lover opacity. So you can see what exactly is the object you pointing at
SVG Font Editor
Bug fixes, small face lift and UX and performance improvements of the dialog
Text and Font dialog
The dialog's width has been reduced, so it won't take up excessive amounts of space when docked (MR #3314).
We cleaned up this dialog, reduced width and added explanation for metric transformations
Fill and Stroke dialog
- The more intuitive HSL mode (hue, saturation, lightness) is now the default mode of the color selector.
- All color selection modes (e.g. HSL, HSV, RGB, CMYK, color wheel, CMS) have been moved into drop-down menu, with icons. You can get the old, tabbed look back by disabling the option in
Edit > Preferences > Interface > Use compact color selector mode switch.
Gradient Editor is back
This allows you to add, edit and delete gradient stops directly in the 'Fill and Stroke' dialog again.
- to add a new stop, double click on the gradient preview
- to move a stop, click and drag it along the gradient preview or enter the stop offset numerically for more precision
- to remove a stop, click on it to select it, then press the
The Gradient tool toolbar options `repeat mode`, `reverse gradient direction`, a gradient selection library and a list of all stops have been added here, too, so all the options pertaining to gradients are in easy reach.
Another way to add, edit and delete single stops is to use the list of gradient stops. Users can add stops by clicking on the
+ button, and can delete them by clicking on the
With the new gradient selection dropdown, users can duplicate gradients by clicking on the
Users can offset (move) the first and last stops of a gradient. The color beyond the last/first gradient stop is uniformly that of the last/first stop and it becomes transparent where the gradient postion handles end.
duplicated gradeint does not get deleted https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3361
Markers have new drop-down options where you can control size offset and rotation of markers. This allowed us to remove duplicate markers so UI is much easier to navigate. We also cleaned out marker presets and added few new arrows and also join ends
You can also edit size rotation and offset of markers on canvas. By clicking on edit button in style tab under marker
Custom Dash strokes
We added UI for editing custom dash stroke pattern. Click on Custom option inside a dash stroke drop-down and this field will be shown under it. Now you can add your custom pattern by typing numbers (dash gap dash gap ...)
Other small changes
we reorder caps to mach order https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3402
Color picker mode got redesigned #Color_picker
We redesigned document properties. Since we introduce new feature Multipages wich is not part of svg standart (not suported by browsvers). we cahneg this dialog to contol how big is a viewbox (what gets shown in browsvers). We use first page is also viewbox.
We moved out snapping settings ouside this dialog and also outside of svg document in to preferences.
Split path, split non-intersecting path functionality.
Path > split path
Useful for splitting Letter or other objects made from multiple paths(usually holes) in to single object
Live path effects
perspective/envelope LPE now works on objects with 0 width or height . (edge cases for single line stroke) https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/2712
Import / Export
- A contrast slider was added for fine tuning the selected theme's colors at
Preferences ⯈ Interface ⯈ Themeing: Contrast(MR #906)
Drop shadow is now optional for mouse cursors.
You can turn it off in
Preferences > Interface : Enable Scaling and
Preferences > Interface : Show drop shadow
You can change what you see in down info bar. By default no changes are made just option to turn off information https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3445
you can control size of the font preferences > interface > theme
Toolbars and Toolbox
Preferences > interface > toolbars
You can control size of the icons and also customize with tools are visible in a toolbar(toolbox).
On macOS, enable all special menu items in the application menu and hide them from other menus. https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3767
Modifier keys now work with pen input https://gitlab.com/freedesktop-sdk/mirrors/gnome/gtk/-/commit/46c12b2c922d5592cedd29624cbf3be6b4411084
Add option to limit output extension to save copy
Added Python app dirs dependency
Behind the curtains
continuous work on converting verbs to Gio::Actions . This work is done as a preparation for migration to gtk4 and also allows us to have this commands in command pallet and assign shortcuts to this coverted commands. (TODO: there is lots of MRs mostly from tav which needs to be sorted and added here)
Add support for x, y, width and height SVG2 attributes on <symbol>. Follows logic of <svg> element, which already supported these attributes. https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3828
Check knot still exists before updating
Masive colection of crash fixes releted to number of LPE (copy, stampe, duplicate)
Action after grouping 3D boxes crash Fix
Fix for crashing of inkscape while Quiting
Fix crash due to invalid or malformed direct-action string
Bezier curve tool Backspace crash
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3715 Fix crash scrolling across line height units
Fix adding a path effect to symbol causes crash
Fix drag-and-drop svgs, stops crash
Handle two items in spray tool's single path mode
Icon preview crash
Prevents crashing during 3D box import
Fill between Paths LPE crash on selecting https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3801
Other bug fixes
Fix #1034 - Recursively flatten css style when copying
new boolean operation algorithm
Respect mouse down before mouse move coordinates (WIN)
Remove mandatory break from end of paragraphs, added in Pango 1.49.
Fix: Subsequent font changes to words in the same textbox now apply
Fix numpad input for unimode in text tool
All handles should be controlled by preferences
Restore refresh of units trackers
Fix find and replace if text has description, nested tspans
all canvas knots should have same size and be controlled form preferences
Fix multiline vertical text positioning in browsers.
Stop changing line height when units change
Fix Clone Tiler menu item, action mismatch
fix: Cannot quit Inkscape on macOS Big Sur from welcome screen (MAC)
Fix: Position of flowed text no longer applies extra transforms on text
Fix default value for saturate in color matrix filter
nodes widget no longer appears on startup in align and distribute dialog
fixes #2621. Clicking on fill/stroke in the status bar now reopens the dialog if it is
Fix KP_2,4,6,8 shortcuts for rect tool
Transform handle modifiers are now displayed on status bar https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/merge_requests/3809
Even more bug fixes
There were even more issues fixed than those listed above, but these probably only affect a small portion of users, or are relevant for development and packaging only.
The following UI translations received updates:
The Windows installer translation was updated for [2021-03-03]:
The following documentation translations received updates:
Contributing to interface translations
Want to help with translations? Learn how to help!
Contributing to documentation and documentation translation
Contributions to the documentation translations, as well as improvements to its contents, are welcome at the inkscape-docs repository.
Important changes for packagers
- New dependency on
python-cssselectadded which is required for usage of Inkscape extensions (MR #3239)
- Gradient editing [as of 2021-06-26]:
- Gradient collecting is problematic. It deletes your gradient if it's not used by any other object. Will be fixed with 3361
- If you convert your gradient to swatch, the gradient editor cannot be used for editing it anymore.
- The first click after exiting the gradient library is ignored.
- Canvas stops and gradient editor stops highlighting will stop working in some cases.
- Inkscape 1.3 — development branch
- Inkscape 1.2 (1.2.1) — current stable release branch
- Inkscape 1.1 (1.1.1, 1.1.2)
- Inkscape 1.0 (1.0.1, 1.0.2)
- Inkscape 0.92 (0.92.1, 0.92.2, 0.92.3, 0.92.4, 0.92.5)
- Inkscape 0.91
- Inkscape 0.48 (0.48.1, 0.48.2, 0.48.3, 0.48.4, 0.48.5)
- Inkscape 0.47
- Inkscape 0.46
- Inkscape 0.45
- Inkscape 0.44
- Inkscape 0.43
- Inkscape 0.42
- Inkscape 0.41
- Inkscape 0.40
- Inkscape 0.39
- Inkscape 0.38
- Inkscape 0.37
- Inkscape 0.36
- Inkscape 0.35