Inkscape currently uses garbage collecting to manage the lifetime of many objects. This is problematic...
Objects managed by GC: (grep -Ir GC:: src | grep public):
- SPDocument: src/document.h
- SPDesktop (via View): ui/view/view.h
- Undo stack: undo-stack-observer.h
- XML nodes: xml/event.h, xml/attribute-record.h, xml/composite-node-observer.h, xml/node.h, xml/simple-node-observer.h, xml/simple-node.h
- Profile manager: profile-manager.h
- Layer manager: layer-manager.h
- Selections: selection.h
- Document subset: document-subset.h
Documents opened for editing should be owned by InkscapeApplication.
- Help (tutorials)
Temporary documents should be opened with unique_ptr<>.
- SVG Cursors (ui/cursor-utils.cpp, uses ink_file_open(), unique_ptr)
- SVG to Pixbuf (ui/svg-renderer.cpp, uses ink_file_open(), unique_ptr)
- SPDocument::copy (document.cpp, uses createDoc() ***)
- Paint selector (ui/widget/paint-selector.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc, static, never deleted)
- Markers (ui/widget/marker-combo-box.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc, static, never deleted)
- Symbols (ui/dialog/symbols.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc() x3, not clear if any deleted)
- Win32 File (ui/dialog/filedialogimpl-win32.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc(), unique_ptr)
- About (ui/dialog/about.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc(), document not deleted!)
- Paint servers (ui/dialog/paint-servers.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc(), not deleted!)
- SVG Preview (ui/dialog/svg-preview.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc(), deleted in destructor)
- Clipboard (ui/clipboard.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc(), uses std::unique_ptr)
- InkView (inkview-window.h, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc(), not deleted!)
- ink_file_new(), ink_file_open() (io/file.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc(), not deleted, utility for other functions)
- CDR (extension/internal/cdr-input.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDocFromMem() x3, not deleted!)
- SVG (extension/internal/svg.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNew() x3, SPDocument::createNewDocFromMem(), not deleted!)
- PDF Input ...
- Gimp Grad
- Cairo utils (display/cairo-utils.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDocFromMem(), uses std::unique_ptr)
- Stock items (helper/stock-items.cpp, uses SPDocument::createNewDoc(), markers, static, not deleted).
- URIReference (object/uri-reference.cpp, uses SPDocument::createChildDoc(),
One problem, when saving, a document is copied so it can be modified in place. This document stores a reference to the original document.
Inkscape::Application (different from InkscapeApplication) has a list of documents too. This list should be removed (as should Inkscape::Application).
Desktop should be owned by InkscapeWindow. There should be no need to ref count.
The desktop is used in the following sources for these purpose:
- To find the SPDocument
- To ensure the pop-up window is over the correct window. As pop-up windows seize control, the desktop cannot disappear from beneath them.
- New layer pop-up where desktop is needed to add layer (why?).
GC is used in these files:
- ui/dialog/knot-properties.cpp (only in with Measure Tool). Removed
- ui/dialog/layer-properties.cpp. Removed
- ui/dialog/lpe-fillet-chamfer-properties.cpp. Removed.
- ui/dialog/lpe-powerstroke-properties.cpp. Removed.
- /ui/widget/style-subject.cpp (used by Fill and Stroke, and Layers dialogs for opacity, blending, and blurring).
Floating dialogs should be updated with a new desktop before a desktop is destroyed.
The undo stack should be owned by the document.
Selections should be owned by InkscapeWindow with an additional selection owned by InkscapeApplication for use with the GUI.