A hackfest! Focusing on moving to GTK3.
- Gtk3 is the future.
- Better OSX and Windows(?) support.
- CSS Styling allows easy customization:
- Small/Large screens.
- Hide/Show GUI elements.
- Dark/Light Themes
- Remove 700+ #ifdef statements.
Why a hackfest?
Moving to GTK3 requires lots of small steps that would be easily done in parallel by a group of Inkscape developers. Most developers do not have a good working knowledge of GTK3. Doing it as a group would allow knowledge to be quickly shared and design decisions made.
- Need to port custom widgets.
- Moving target. (e.g. 3.20 changed names from GtkButton -> button)
- Best practices unknown.
Date & Place
It would good to have the meeting co-located with a Gnome meeting so we can arrange in person help from experts. Another possibility is to meet in Boston near Redhat's offices.
- GUADEC Karlsruhe, Germany from August 12 – 14
- GNOME Summit (typically MIT in October)
- FOSDEM 2017 Brussels typically late January/early February
- Gtk hackfests