A hackfest! Focusing on moving to GTK+ 3.
- GTK3 is the future.
- Better OS X and Windows(?) support.
- CSS styling allows easy customization:
- small/large screens;
- hide/show GUI elements;
- dark/light themes.
- Remove 700+
Why a hackfest?
Moving to GTK3 requires lots of small steps that would be easily done in parallel by a group of Inkscape developers. Most developers do not have a good working knowledge of GTK3. Doing it as a group would allow knowledge to be quickly shared and design decisions made.
- Need to port custom widgets.
- Moving target (e.g. 3.20 changed names from GtkButton → button).
- Best practices unknown.
Date & Place
It would be good to have the meeting co-located with a GNOME meeting so we can arrange in person help from experts. Another possibility is to meet in Boston near Red Hat's offices.
- Place: Manchester, United Kingdom
- Date: July 28th - August 2nd 2017
- Place: Typically MIT
- Date: Typically in October
- Place: Brussels
- Date: ?? February 2018