Difference between revisions of "Google Summer of Code 2006"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(added Inkboard + Inkscape integration proposal link)
Revision as of 20:30, 25 June 2005
This page outlines some suggestions for tasks that could be performed for Googles Summer of Code project
File import/export code, (pdf, dxf, etc)
- Implement a complete import/export cycle relying on no external apps (libs are ok if suitably x-platform) for another mainstream vector format. (ie dxf, pdf, ai...) implementing the import/export as a lib and plugging it in to Inkscape would be prefered, or as a pdf2svg type util that can be called.
- DXF Import
- DXF Export
Creation of a libpdf from the Scribus code
- Extract the pdf creation code from Scribus and use it to form a libPDF which we can use. then plug it in. - Kinda linked to the above (This means of effectively having a libPDF for both projects. So, this is not replicating the code and having to maintain both, so you must work with Scribus too)
Convert renderer to Cairo
- Convert the renderer over to Cairo. This is a major task. It may involve working on Cairo in areas where Cairo is not ready.
Break out the canvas to a widget
- Create a GTK SVG canvas widget based off SPCanvas, to allow other projects to easily make use of an SVG canvas.
Create a Clipart Libary interface
- Create an interface to allow easy insertion of clipart from the open clipart libary (OCAL) into inkscape documents. Allow sorting by categories, search for metadata keyword etc.
- Bring the virtual whiteboard functionality of inkboard into the main trunk, and extend it.
- Use the ability to stream/recieve the changes in a doc to allow a session file to be recorded and played back later.
- Implement connectors for shapes with automatic line routing.
Ideas that received no viable proposals
- Implement a color management system to allow the use of spot colors and color profiles (littleCMS?)
Marker editing and styling
- implement a UI for the editing of markers, ideally on-canvas
- create a widget for previewing and selecting markers, better than the current menu
- make markers inherit their parent's stroke paint when that is changed (this is not provided by SVG, so we need to do this artificially)