Google Summer of Code
Welcome to Inkscape!
We've mentored about half a dozen students a year since GSoC started. Many students enjoyed their work and continue to be involved; perhaps your mentor will be a past GSoC student! We have a high rate of acceptance of student code into the core codebase. Indeed, GSoC projects have been a key source of some of Inkscape's best features in the past several releases.
The Inkscape team plans to focus this summer on codebase cleanup and refactoring. This will affect the type of projects we can accept this year; we're looking for ones that either won't affect core code too significantly (such as Extension scripts, or File Input/Output formats) or that would actually result in improving the state of the codebase (adding tests, modularization, etc.). Students who have already been active developers in Inkscape previously will be allowed more latitude to work on core code (particularly if it will result in cleanup/refactoring of their past work).
- Google program information
- Summer of Code Application form
- Inkscape-specific information
- Font editing and creation features.
- Multiple Page support
- Full SVG viewbox support
- Switching primary rendering engine from Livarot to Cairo
- Python extensions test suite
- Python effects/extension scripts
- New file import or export support
- Importing of 3D scene files in 16 file formats using Open Asset Import Library
- xar-to-svg converter - Converter for Xara Xtreme to Inkscape
- 'New From Template' dialog
- More Live Path Effects - There is a lengthy list of ideas to choose from here.
- KML SVG translation - For use of Inkscape with Google Earth or Maps
- kidscape - Condensed version of Inkscape aimed at young kids and small form factor devices
- Cutter control - Enable Inkscape's use with vinyl cutters.
- ICC Color Management for cairo outputs - Would allow Inkscape to produce CMYK PDFs and PSs with Cairo.
- Guides Improvements
- Transformation Anchors
- Add a palette of objects to Inkscape. Such a palette would contain often used objects and would allow categorizing such objects. Examples of categories: UML, electric, network.
- Power Stroke - Modulated width stroke LPE.
- Multiple-path editing support
- Tablet on windows - Fix up tablet support on windows.
Please do not feel limited to the above ideas - some of our best contributions have been unique ideas that students had in mind from other sources!
For more ideas, please see https://blueprints.launchpad.net/inkscape/