- Install Xcode tools from the App Store
- Download and install MacPorts
- Edit the MacPorts variants config (optional).
Add this line to
- In Terminal (Applications>Utilities>Terminal) type
sudo port selfupdate sudo port install cairo boehmgc gtkmm intltool libxslt lcms2 popt boost \ poppler \ gsl automake adwaita-icon-theme gdl3 gtkmm3 libsoup -x11 +quartz
- In Terminal, get Inkscape
git clone --recurse-submodules firstname.lastname@example.org:inkscape/inkscape.git
- And build inkscape
# use a clean MacPorts environment (optional) LIBPREFIX="/opt/local" export PATH="$LIBPREFIX/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin" # where to build and install PREFIX="$PWD/install-prefix" mkdir build cd build cmake \ -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="$LIBPREFIX" \ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="$PREFIX" \ -DWITH_OPENMP=OFF \ .. make install
- Run Inkscape
Speed up Installation
cmake \ -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER_LAUNCHER=ccache \ -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_LAUNCHER=ccache \ -G Ninja \ # more cmake options here ninja ninja install
The Inkscape CI job uses homebrew, see .gitlab-ci.yml
Extension Python modules
In case you are using a Python version installed through MacPorts do a search for both modules and install the ones suitable for the Python version activated within MacPorts.
port search lxml numpy
For further info refer to the Getting Effects Working section of this wiki.
Creating an .app bundle
Creating a disk image to distribute Inkscape
- Adam Strzeleki has outlined some improvements to this process on the Inkscape email list. See his screenshot from January 10, 2008 here.
- JiHO has a video of his builds here and here.
- Mac OS X native (aqua), PPC-only, Tiger-only build of 0.47, can be retrieved here: . NOT FOR PRODUCTIVE USE - JUST TESTING! - (Nevertheless I'm doing quite a bit productive work on it… (-;)
- Introduction to Runtime Configuration Covers the Info.plist files, Preferences, Environment variables and has a list of the most important Properties that the Property List should contain.
- Sveinbjorn Thordarson's Website The author of Platypus, the Script Exec wrapper that launches the Inkscape binary.
- Creating OS X application bundles step by step Covers the bundle concepts, copying libraries into the bundle, editing libraries with the install_name_tool, the Info.plist file and adding an icon.
- Bringing your Java Application to Mac OS X I would regard this a little dated, and the detail is (unsurprisingly) Java-related, but it is a gentle introduction to the role of the .app bundle and give a most clear account of how to create one.
- The Gimp .app Howto This is a very bare document, and would be of little help to you if you were new to making packages. Note that it seems to refer to a more mature Clipboard technique and Online help than we currently have; and we ought to move to parity in these areas.