Advanced File Access
The current method of interacting with files in Inkscape is limited. This feature proposal explores ways it can be replaced with a more powerful, more capable system.
As a minimum, the new system must fulfil the following needs:
Additionally, the following properties are highly desireable:
- WebDAV support
- FTP support
Further, the following capabilities have been mentioned as somewhat desireable:
Finally, there are some capabilities that are distinctly *not* needed:
Filesystem abstraction layer
- High level interface to internet-based file access
- Asynchronous file ops
- File monitoring
- Operation cancellation
- Bulk file operations
- MIME typing
- Inet connections & operations
- Abiword uses it
- Has been ported to Win32
- API documentation is spotty
- Many dependencies: libbonobo, libbz2, fam, libgcrypt, libpopt, libtasn, gconf, glib, gnutls, orbit2, libxml, zlib and gnome-mime-data. (but is included in every distro. that has GNOME and many dependencies only result in reduced functionality not the inability to build)
- Is it available on OSX?
Neon - http://www.webdav.org/neon/
HTTP and WebDAV client library.
- Provides HTTP/WebDAV methods
- Support for OpenSSL, proxy, authentication
- WebDAV metadata properties
- Embeddable into a source tree
- API is not yet stable and subject to major changes
- Does it work on Win32?
- Does it work on OSX?
Utility lib for reading/writing structured file formats.
- Provides svgz, copy/paste, BonoboStream, and Win32 Istream support
- Support for OLE2 streams, zip input
- Used in gnumeric, mrproject, abiword, libwv2, koffice, and also part of the AAF format.
- Lite dependencies: glib, zlib, libxml2
- May be more GNOME-dependent than we would wish
- Insufficient documentation