Talk:Frequently asked questions
- 1 Windows installer for 0.45?
- 2 Download Inkscape
- 3 .ai?
- 4 how about a 'select adjacent nodes' shortcut key
- 5 changing locale under windows
- 6 How to make Alt+click and Alt+drag work on KDE4?
- 7 sodipodi
- 8 Adobe SVG Viewer
- 9 Savarese SVG Plugin for Internet Explorer
- 10 Linking the W3C Acronym
- 11 Gnome and Bonobo
- 12 Bazaar replaced Subversion
- 13 2.10 Can I use different settings for the new documents created by Inkscape?
- 14 What License are Inkscape icons released under?
Windows installer for 0.45?
FAQ claims a self-contained installer for Windows XP. Release 0.45 seems to be missing this.
Yes, it is possible to download an archive of 0.45 executables and libraries, but there seems to be no installer that would register file types to the executables and create menu entries, etc.
Is there a maintenance release coming with a Windows installer?
Since I really enjoy working with graphics [i basically use mspaint] and subscribe to 'computer tips' thru worldstart, they have led me to your program called 'Inkscape'.
I was wondering where I can acquire it at?
This FAQ says that inkscape can save in .ai format, but I don't see that option in version 0.44 under the save dialog. --Axiom 14:55, 22 August 2006 (UTC
Mac 10.4 ?
How do I make Inkscape work on a Mac with 10.4? The X.11 was installed--how do I make it active?
how about a 'select adjacent nodes' shortcut key
If you've ever used Wings 3D, you're probably familiar with hitting the + key or - key to expand or decrease the number of vectors in the current selection. I keep wishing I could do the same with nodes in Inkscape (how about with Alt + + and Alt + -).
- In 0.45, it's pgup/pgdn or mouse wheel while the mouse is over a node.
Scale by percent?
I am a teacher of mathematics to future teachers, and would like to use Inkscape with my students for learning certain mathematical topics (mostly transformations.) However, in Inkscape, the scaling is % more than, not % of. While this may be the way that some graphics people like to think, it's not ideal for learning math.
1) It doesn't agree with the conventions in other software: AI, AppleWorks, MS Paint, Freehand,... OpenOffice is even worse: you have to say the actual amount more, not the percent more.
2) It makes certain key mathematical concepts less accessible: Twice as big is multiplying by 2 or 200%, a 15% tax on an amount is 115% of the amount, etc.
Is there some way you could include this alternate way of scaling? (Yes, I realize you can put in the coordinates for the affine transformation as a matrix, but I'm working with elementary teachers.)
- this is done in 0.46, thanks for feedback -- bb
changing locale under windows
(Concerning I am working on a machine with operating system xxx which has default language yyy set, but I want to work with Inkscape menus in language zzz (most likely English), how can I set this?)
Under linux being no problem but under windows there seems to be no solution to change the locale on a system with turkish XP to be german. That's a bit - ah - strange...! At least one should be able to set something like set LANG=de_DE as environment variable. --Katpatuka 19:24, 21 July 2007 (UTC)
What about changing locale for the win32 installer? Is that possible? Helix84 13:58, 8 January 2008 (UTC)
How to make Alt+click and Alt+drag work on KDE4?
How to make Alt+click and Alt+drag work on KDE4? There is no Control Center (KControl) in KDE4.--Hhielscher 12:01, 16 December 2008 (UTC)
The domain sodipodi.com seems to be available for purchase, guess things didn't work out well over there. Suggest to remove the link - page is protected and I can't do it myself. Odedee 19:12, 26 July 2009 (UTC)
Adobe SVG Viewer
Savarese SVG Plugin for Internet Explorer
Savarese Software Research provides an alternative to the unsupported Adobe Viewer. It is an unmodified distribution of the ActiveX control from the Mozilla code base. The installer is just under 10 MB (v188.8.131.52), and does NOT require Firefox to be installed.
- Depending on your security settings, IE will probably give you warnings about running ActiveX controls.
- You will have to modify your HTML to use an object tag instead of an img tag.
Linking the W3C Acronym
There are three ways the W3C acronym is linked in this Wiki page:
1) Plain text only with no link.
2) Text linked to http://www.w3.org/
3) Text linked to the W3C page in this Wiki.
I understand the first variety. One should not overlink any reference.
I don't understand why both the second and third exist simultaneously on this page; especially, since the W3C Wiki page currently contains only the http://www.w3.org/ link.
Could someone please help me improve my understanding of the proper way to link references such as W3C?
--NeoPhyte Rep 21:37, 17 December 2009 (UTC)
Gnome and Bonobo
According to the GNOME Documentation Library API Reference,
under Bonobo Activation API Reference Manual,
"This module is heading towards planned deprecation. It will continue to be supported and API/ABI stable throughout the GNOME 2.x series, but we do not recommend using it in new applications unless you require functionality that has not already been moved elsewhere."
--NeoPhyte Rep 22:45, 17 December 2009 (UTC)
Bazaar replaced Subversion
According to the News section of the Inkscape home page,
"Source code repository has moved to Launchpad" which means Bazaar has replaced Subversion as the code repository.
I don't know how to edit the "What is the Linux command to download the code through Subversion?" question since I am not conversant with either source code version control system. Perhaps someone else can take on the task.
--NeoPhyte Rep 23:25, 17 December 2009 (UTC)
2.10 Can I use different settings for the new documents created by Inkscape?
On Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) the path for storing settings is not
~/.inkscape/.... but rather
I have not changed the FAQ in question as I don't know if the path is incorrect for other distributions. Can others confirm on different distros?
- The path to the Inkscape Preferences directory has changed in Inkscape 0.47 on Linux and Mac OS X; it stayed unchanged for the Windows port (%APPDATA%\Inkscape).--~suv 20:42, 1 July 2010 (UTC)
What License are Inkscape icons released under?
Is it under GPL 2.0 like Inkscape itself ? and who designed this icons ?
Cdlt, VIGNERON 08:53, 9 August 2011 (UTC)