- 1 Release highlights
- 2 Important changes
- 3 Improvements
- 4 Regression fixes
- 5 Notable bugfixes
- 6 More bug fixes
- 7 Translations
- 8 Documentation
- 9 Known issues
- 10 Previous releases
Released on 2019-01-16
Inkscape 0.92.4 is a stability and bugfix release. It also brings some notable performance improvements for filter rendering, measure tool, extensions, document saving and moving paths (with a live path effect) and includes a couple of small, but impactful usage improvements.
This Inkscape version will not work with Windows XP anymore. Inkscape 0.92.3 is the last version that works on XP.
The Inkscape project has opened a new, user-facing bug tracker on gitlab at https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inbox/issues/ . Please use this new tracker to report issues that occur with Inkscape 0.92.4 and with development builds.
Align and Distribute
You can now align multiple (ungrouped) objects as a group relative to another, single object.
This makes "treat selection as group" useful with the selections "Last selected / First selected / Biggest object / Smallest object" in which case all elements will be moved as a group relative to the "focused" element which will be kept fixed.
Example aligning multiple (ungrouped) objects to first selected object:
The movement of the color sliders can now be constrained by holding the "Ctrl" key while dragging.
(step size is 16 if the max value is 255, and 10 if the max is 100)
- Previously, the current selection was lost after running an extension. Now, whenever possible, Inkscape will try to keep the objects selected.
- Extensions developers can again rely on the order of inkex.Effect.selected.iteritems() reflecting the user's selection order properly.
- Extensions work faster now in documents consisting of a large number of objects.
Automated Graphics Processing
Inkscape is now able to read and write pipes. You can use this to process data without using temporary files.
You can read from standard input:
cat vector.svg | inkscape --file - --export-png img.png
You can write image data to standard output and directly convert to JPEG (using ImageMagick's 'convert' command):
inkscape --file vector.svg --export-png - | convert - out.jpg
Also a full processing chain is possible by reading and writing to pipes:
cat vector.svg | inkscape --file - --export-png - | convert - out.jpg
- Improved saving speed (especially some extreme slowdowns with certain large files like those created by Adobe Illustrator have been resolved, see also bug #1793877)
- Improved filter rendering speed (Commit)
- Improved performance of the measure tool, when grids are visible (Commit)
- Dragging paths with a live path effect works faster now (Bug #245078)
- Deselecting a path with many nodes would take a long time (Bugs #1652100 and #1745763)
- Ungrouping text elements would result in a changed font size. (Bug #1733651)
- Some files with live path effects that could not be opened in Inkscape 0.92.3 work again in 0.92.4 (Bug #1769679)
- Some printer drivers (reportedly Canon, EPSON, and Konica Minolta drivers) either failed to print at all, or scaled documents to the wrong paper size. Inkscape would send print jobs with a custom paper size, instead of sizes supported by the drivers. (Bug #630635 comments 3-7; bug #1289733; GitLab MRs 258 and 259)
- The measure tool became confused by mirrored text. Now it measures distances between letters correctly, even when mirrored. (Bug #1738504)
- Fixed reduced opacity of partially transparent embedded bitmap images in PDF export. (Bug #381677)
- Fixed reduced opacity of partially transparent filtered objects in PDF export when "Rasterize filter effects" is active. (Bug #381677)
- Fixed a very annoying crash when Shift/Ctrl-clicking on control handles of shapes. (Bug #1594877)
- Inkscape can now be built with up-to-date poppler library 0.72.0. This is especially useful for Mac OS users, using Homebrew for building Inkscape. (Commit)
- Filter editor no longer crashes when removing the last blend filter (Bug #1795847)
- Fixed a crash upon closing a document, when the default template was missing (Commit)
- Copy-pasting the power stroke LPE from one path to another works better now (Bug #1005036)
More bug fixes
There were even more issues fixed than those listed above, but these probably only affect a small portion of users, or are relevant for development and packaging only.
The following UI translations received updates:
- Brazilian Portuguese
The following documentation translations received updates:
Contributing to interface translations
Want to help with translations? Learn how to help!
- Layout of HTML Keyboard Shortcut Reference improved
- Indicate correct keyboard shortcut for the measurement tool in Keyboard Shortcut Reference
- Clarification in the man page for usage of the -z / --verb options in combination
Contributing to documentation and documentation translation
Contributions to the documentation translations, as well as improvements to its contents, are welcome at the inkscape-docs repository.
See bug tracker