Line Height Bugs
This page is to track bugs and issues regarding the changes to 'line-height' in 0.92.
0.92 introduces changes in behavior with regards to line spacing. Changes were made in order to adhere to the CSS definition of the 'line-height' property. Work was motivated by a desire to handle units in the 'line-height' property as well as to prepare for SVG 2 multi-line text.
The following issues have been identified by testing a variety of pre-0.92 Inkscape files:
- Pre 0.92 Inkscape interprets % 'line-height' values incorrectly. CSS dictates that 'line-height' values with units are "computed" at the point the are defined and it is the computed value that is inherited by child elements. On the other hand, unit-less 'line-height' values pass the "uncomputed" value to child elements and the child elements compute their own line spacing.
- Pre 0.92 Inkscape ignores the "strut". The "strut" is the minimum spacing between lines as determined by the 'font-size' and 'line-height' values of the outermost text element. For example, if one has a 'font-size' of 40px and a 'line-height' value of 1.25, the strut value is 50px. No lines inside the <text> element can be spaced closer together than 50px.
- Inkscape 0.92.0 introduces a bug in spacing blank lines. Blank lines (which are represented by empty <tspan> elements) are spaced according to the strut value, incorrectly ignoring styling information on the <tspan>. If one sets the strut value to zero, it appears that blank lines are not rendered.
- The placement of the first line in flowed text may be shifted slightly from pre 0.92 Inkscape. This is due to a correction on positioning the first line, again to better adhere to CSS. For the most part, any shift should be minor.
- The 'sodipodi:line-height' attribute should be removed.
- Bug #1655483 “Inkscape 0.92 line space problem with text of Inkscape 0.91”
- Bug #1655412 “Space between base lines misbehavior”
- Bug #1652340 “Extension for 0.92.x to fix line spacing in legacy documents”
- Bug #1652006 “Line spacing differs between 0.91 an 0.92b4”
- Bug #1644299 “text and image not displaying in 0.92pre3”
- Bug #1642133 “Inkscape shows text with ridiculously wide line spacing”
- Bug #1617692 “Spacing Between Baselines Messed Up 0.92 15081”
- Bug #1556400 “line height all equal in development version”
su_v has assembled a set of test files that can be found at: https://gitlab.com/su-v/test-files
Identified issues in test files:
1274158: Issue had to do with bitmap import. Note: file contains <flowRoot> elements without text. The file exposes two issues: 1. The strut issue. 2. The improper inheritance of % line-height values. (Inkscape multi-line text.) 1382923: The actual issue had to do with changing from 'px' to 'pt' font size. The file exposes the strut issue. Simplest fix is to set the outer font-size to zero to create a zero-height strut. (Inkscape multi-line text.) 1513959: Pre 0.92 line-height % values inherited incorrectly. Fix is to convert % to unitless. (<flowRoot> text.) 1642133: Pre 0.92 the strut was not used. Here the outer font-size is larger than the inner font-sizes so the strut value is limiting how close the lines can be spaced. Easiest fix is to set outer font-size to zero and line-height to 1.25. sodipodi:linespacing attribute should be removed. (Inkscape multi-line text.) AmigaBallTutorial: Pre 0.92 the strut was not used. Here, due to the 12px font-size on the outer text element a 15px strut is created (the default value for line-height is 1.25). Line spacing can never be less than the strut value. The easiest fix is to change the 12px font-size on the outer text element to 9px, to match the inner font-size's. An alternative fix is to set the outer line-height to 0 (but this fails due to incorrect spacing of empty lines). (Inkscape multi-line text.)