Change keyboards shortcuts
There is no user interface to customize shortcuts yet but you can edit <Inkscape install directory>share/keys/default.xml, or add a custom keys/default.xml in the user Inkscape preferences directory to define new shortcuts or remap (override) shortcuts from the shared keymap file.
In order to share same shortcuts than other softwares, following configuration files are shipped with Inkscape (look at the <Inkscape install directory>share/keys/ folder):
- acd-canvas.xml for ACD System Canvas 11
- adobe-illustrator-cs2.xml for Adobe Illustrator CS2
- corel-draw-x4 for Corel Draw X4
- macromedia-freehand-mx.xml for Macromedia Freehand MX
- xara.xml for Xara X, Xara Xtreme and Xara LX
- zoner-draw.xml for Zoner Draw 5
- right-handed-illustration.xml is a configuration where the user draw with the right hand and want to access all shortcuts with the left one
- inkscape.xml is the default Inkscape shortcuts configuration file.
Change the user interface
Icons are in all in an icons.svg file located in <Inkscape install directory>\share\icons\. It can be overwritted or modified by the user (be sure of what you do).
Alternatively, a custom icons/icons.svg file can be loaded from the user Inkscape preferences directory (it will override existing icons from the shared icons file, and fall back to icons from the shared icons file if some are missing in the custom one).
Examples of existing icons.svg:
- Default one from the Inkscape repository
- A Tango Icon Set for Inkscape can be sent in the <Inkscape install directory>\share\icons\ directory, you can rename it.
- SimpleGrey inkscape theme by Scnd101
Change the theme/skin
In GTK, a theme is defined in a gtkrc file. On Windows, the Inkscape one is located in <Inkscape install directory>\etc\gtk-2.0.