This page is for users and developers to discuss Tutorial changes. These changes include existing tutorials that need to be updated and also tutorials that need to be created to document new features.
We should start having HTML tutorials around for older versions, and maybe for SVN as well. The direct link however should always go to the tutorials for the current stable version.
When creating a new tutorial, remember that all original strings should form full phrases/sentences even in the illustrations. Please don't split them into several string that make up a sentence just by positioning them in order, because they need to keep the context to be translatable.
It's best to use a textarea (centered if needed) so that the text can flow into form, even when it's longer in a translation.
Translator help needed
The conversion to PO format via xml2po is finished. Translators, please see DocumentationTranslation#Tutorial_Translation.
In general, don't mention the Alt-Letter shortcuts prominently in the tutorials, but the alternate ones. See http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.user/9023 and http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1540211&group_id=93438&atid=604306 and http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1557729&group_id=93438&atid=604306 etc.
- Update "Multiple Selections" to add new select type (w/ Alt)
- Update "Fill and Stroke" reference to swatches to reflect bar at bottom
- Update "Fill and Stroke" reference to editing gradients to reflect all-oncanvas (perhaps even break out into new tutorial)
- We should probably also address the fill/stroke widget in the status bar.
- Do we really need to advice users saving documents as often as possible?
- In "Node Editing" address mouseover and mousewheel selection
- update the screenshot to the current tracing dialog box
- add content about multiple scans
- cover colour, grey and brightness steps multiple scans
- cover the options for multiple scans - smooth, stack and remove background
- add content about the options tab
- supress speckles
- smooth corners
- optimise paths
- add content about foreground selection with SIOX
- Rename all "drag" references to "wiggle"
- Add information about engravers toolbox
Element of design
Color design :
- explain what is cold/warm color (with color wheel illustration(s))
- add some examples of color changes with a simplified color wheel and something like gtk color widget triangle.
- Speak about agave tool for color design (http://home.gna.org/colorscheme/ ) and/or some online tools. Agave is the best tool to give as it uses inkscape/gimp palette format.
- Blur and depth of field
- Add an exemple following the rules given (dark to light, warm to cold and saturated to desaturated) for color perspective representation, and eventually with blur effect.
Tips & Tricks
- Clones & Clone tiler (tutorial draft)
- Clipping, Masks, & Patterns (tutorial draft)
- Paint Bucket Tool (tutorial draft)
- Tweak Tool (tutorial draft)
- 3D Box Tool
- colours (tutorial draft)
- cover the basic concept
- perhaps svgs of a colourwheel that have been altered by each effect
- introduction into the custom... option and how to use
- pattern on path + extrude + inset outset halo
- modify path menu effects
- Live Path Effects
- Gaussian Blur
- Blend Modes
- Filter Effects Dialog - Advanced Filters