Please post links to screenshots and/or insights of this vector graphics application. We must learn from others.
OpenDraw currently has more features than Inkscape:
- Better support for 3D.
- Better import/export capability.
- "Convert to", convert objects to and from Paths and other object can be very useful (please rephrase this)
- Export to Portable Document Format (PDF)
- Integration with the rest of a Suite has the advantage of getting OpenDraw in the door as well as providing other side benefits.
- Very intuitive editing of grouped objects (without ungrouping them). Double-clicking the group blurs the other objects, allowing in-group editing.
- (Please add to this list, I gather there are many others.)
Nevertheless, there are some areas where it's better to use Inkscape:
- SVG support (Openoffice has some support for exporting SVG).
- Spirals, stars & calligraphy pen are fairly unique to Inkscape and SodiPodi (JascWebDraw also has includes spirals).
- Apparently OpenDraw can't fill curves with a gradient or pattern.
- OpenDraw doesn't have mid-markers, only end markers (arrow heads).
- "Simplify curve" missing from OpenDraw (unique to Inkscape?)
- OpenDraw has only 3 boolean operations.
- Inkscape does better at text-on-path. It seems that OpenDraw requires converting text to curve first, so one can't edit the text after putting it on a curve.
- Inset/outset (unique to inkscape? Not unique MacromediaFreehand does it better)
- Graph layout: automatic connector routing, node overlap removal, and graph layout functions (0.43+devel) are probably better in Inkscape than OpenDraw. (Indeed, does OpenDraw have any of these, other than a simple Distribute command?)
- Patterns in Inkscape (SVG) aren't restricted to bitmaps.
Presentation on OpenDraw: http://www.openoffice.org/product/draw.html
OpenDraw tutorials (among many others):
OpenDraw is available under various licenses
- Public Document License (PDL)
- GNU General Public License (GPL)
- GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)
- Sun Industry Standards Source License (SISSL). Deprecated, LGPL is used instead.