Go back to the main Translation information page.
Main translation file
When you are done with your translation, submit your work.
Using Bazaar, you can checkout the full project repository and generate the project template. Then, you have to follow some steps in order to generate the template:
- Enter the ‘po’ directory:
- Generate the current PO template:
To make an absolutely up-to-date translation (in case the PO file in bzr is not up-to-date enough):
- Update your local copy of Inkscape in the usual way:
- Merge your existing translations into the new POT file (inkscape.pot):
msgmerge your_latest_PO_file inkscape.pot > new_PO_file
If you want to update all PO files in po/, cd there and run:
- Get the file according to your language here. If there is not such a file, copy the ‘English.nsh’ file and rename it to ‘YourLanguage.nsh’.
- Translate the strings in the file.
- Change header information in ‘YourLanguage.nsh’ (language name, local ID, windows code page and authors list) to proper values.
- Optionally, test your translation as described below.
- Submit your work (specify whether you tested it or not).
- Compile Inkscape.
- Run the
make -f Makefile.mingw distcommand. It prepares the binary of Inkscape for the installer.
- Add the filename of your file to the ‘inkscape.nsi’ file (in the parent folder) in the
; Localizationsection (with other languages).
- Install NSIS.
- Right-click on the ‘inkscape.nsi’ file and choose ‘Compile NSIS Script’. The installer compilation will start.
- When the installer is ready, run it to test your translations for the installer and the uninstaller.
To translate the default template:
- Modify the ‘default.svg’ file and save it as ‘default.xx.svg’ where ‘xx’ is the ISO code of your language. You will find the current template here.
- Modify your PO translation to use your localized default template. Look up for a ‘default.svg’ string and translate it accordingly to the file name of the localized template.
- To test your template, save it as well as the compiled PO file (.mo) to the proper location for your system and restart Inkscape. New documents should now be based on your localized template (this is valid if your system is properly set to your locale).
- Submit your work.
To translate the default template, you can use Inkscape as well as any UTF-8 encoding capable text editor.